This Sunday, graduate students in the Masters of Fine Arts (MFA) program from the California College of the Arts will begin a special storefront project called Super Pop-Up Shop at the Alameda Towne Centre. The grand opening will take place Sunday, November 22, from noon to 5 pm.
The premise is based on a recent retail phenomenon, or fad, if you prefer, of creating a deliberately short-lived retail space that appears unannounced, quickly draws in a crowd, and then disappears or turns into something else.
At this Super Pop-Up Shop, visitors will be able to:
• Test drive prototype kid-size shopping carts assembled from recycled materials
• Give a can to the Alameda Food Bank in exchange for a unique handmade porcelain cup
• Learn a new step in a dance swap, in which experts and participants from the community share their favorite moves
• Download the latest tracks by new dance music sensation Chu Cha Santamaria y Usted
• Participate in a scavenger hunt through Alameda Towne Centre’s diverse merchants and landscaped grounds
• Make a sugar-frosted holiday yule log out of a real log
• Tell stories of memorable shopping experiences from yesterday and today
• Help tell the tale of the mysterious, mythical zombie spotted in the mall
The participating artists are Zarouhie Abdalian, Alex Beckman, Sofia Cordova, Adeleine Daysor, Jay Dion, Hannah Ireland, Dorathy Lye, Brad Menninga, Rebecca Ora, George Pfau, Alex Vikmanis, and Jana Willinger. They developed their works under California College of the Arts faculty project leaders Rebeca Bollinger and Glen Helfand.
The shop runs from November 22 through December 6, 2009. For more details, see www.superpopupshop.com