The school district’s enrollment committee convened in October 2015 and is comprised of parents, staff, teachers, and principals.
The committee has met eight times to discuss and develop recommendations for revising the district’s enrollment policies.
Suggested changes include:
- Letting families know if their child is going to be diverted from a neighborhood school that is full before the start of the school year
- Ensuring that students who are diverted get to stay at their new school, rather than getting diverted again
- Requiring families to submit verification of residency more often
- Allowing the children of employees who work at schools to attend those schools
- Allowing Coast Guard families to enroll long-distance (without having an in-person appointment) when they have received orders to move to Alameda from another state
The meeting is scheduled for 6 p.m. on March 15th at Island High School. A complete set of recommendations should be published on the school district’s website by close-of-business today.