From a school district media release, those appointments include:
- Jesse Woodward has been hired as the new principal of Lum Elementary School. Mr. Woodward is currently the principal of Marshall Elementary School in Castro Valley, California. He received his BA in Mathematics Teaching from Clemson University in South Carolina and is an Alameda resident.
- James Assia will become the permanent Director of Food & Nutrition Services. An AUSD employee since 2008, Mr. Assia has served as interim director of the department since March of this year.
- Kim Kelly, an English teacher at Alameda High School, has been promoted to vice principal at the school. Since 2003, Ms. Kelly has also worked as a teacher at Island High School, a reform coach, a teacher on special assignment, and a Coordinator of State and Federal Compliance and School Innovation for AUSD.
- Shirley Clem, Ed.D., will be joining the Teaching & Learning staff as the Coordinator of Elementary Education. Ms. Clem received her doctorate in education from Mills College. She has worked as a vice principal and principal at Franklin Elementary School (2001-20016), a Coordinator of AUSD’s Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment program (2006-2008), and a principal at Otis Elementary School (since 2008).
- Terri Elkin, who is currently AUSD’s Coordinator of Instructional Initiatives, will become the Coordinator of Secondary Education. Over the course of nearly 30 years with AUSD, Ms. Elkin also has worked as a teacher at Chipman Middle and Island High schools, a teacher on special assignment, and a Coordinator of Assessment and Achievement.
These appointments go into effect tomorrow, Friday, July 1st.
Earlier this year, the district announced that it had hired Daniel Hurst as the new principal for Encinal High School, to replace Kirsten Zazo, who was named chief student services officer.
Also, the district previously announced Wendy Garner as the new student services coordinator, and April Dizon as the new director of fiscal services.