The pay raise is part of a two-year contract with the Alameda Education Association (AEA), the labor body representing the district’s teachers, nurses, counselors, and speech and language pathologists.
The district and union also agreed to provisions that will:
- Ease implementation of full day kindergarten
- Schedule the first 14 days of school as minimum (short) days for kindergarteners
- Set up committees to study teacher salaries, budget priorities, and best practices for instructing students who receive special education
- Create a joint AUSD-AEA Academic Committee to deepen district/teacher collaboration on choosing and evaluating instructional materials and professional development
- Increase flexibility for using leave time
- Give the children of AEA members the same priority for enrolling at the school site where they work as children who live in that neighborhood
The two sides also agreed that the existing calendar committee will create school calendars through the 2018-19 school year and will now include members from other bargaining units.
The school board approved the contract with teachers one week before the general election. On the ballot is Measure B1, a seven-year extension of the district’s parcel tax.
AUSD and the AEA will reopen negotiations about salary in February, 2017.